Monday, August 15, 2016

151 - String of Attachment




By J. V. Constas

Attachment, even if it is to a “good” idea, can be destructive to our personal relationships and society as a whole.

Many thoughtful and principled people often imagine better worlds and societies, usually free of struggle, conflict and competition. These well-intentioned men and women look at their failings, disappointments and frustrations in the present world and construct a mental image of a world fashioned in such a way that their weaknesses would not be liabilities, their aspirations would not be foiled by circumstance or their opinions otherwise challenged. In other words, the personal utopias we imagine are often manifestations of our desire to escape magically from our own limitations, rather than take up the heavy labor of individual effort to expand our consciousness and station in life.

Yet, attempting to impose our views on others to fix what is actually wrong with us is not utopia, instead it is dystopia.

I have been guilty of this.

The thoughts we form based on our desire, ideology, dogma or religion become very dear to us. But, the danger is that an idea mixed with desire can become a possession, very much like a favorite toy, a shiny car, a beautiful painting hanging on the wall or a vibrant plant in our nursery. Like a collection of rare coins or other objects of value on the physical plane, we can become possessive of our pet projects and ideas. We derive satisfaction from thinking about them and how brilliant we must be to imagine them in the first place.

In this state of self-congratulation, however, if someone confronts or challenges the thought we hold so dear, we get angry that they do not share our attachment. It is like an artist being told his painting is a piece of trash. It very well might be trash, but a confident and thoughtful creator will take care to understand the critic’s point of view of the critic. An egotistical one will instead condemn the critic!

When faced with this situation, I decided to try something new. First, I knew something was wrong, because I recognized that I was angry. I imagined that my opinion, the thought form that I created and believed was important, was a bright, shiny red square hovering above me. I tried to look at it from all points of view, attempting to be as dispassionate as possible, imagining what a critic would say about it, how a supporter would feel and the impact on society if it took hold in the culture. There would be millions of individual reactions, based on their individual points of view.

As I analyzed how I felt when someone did not believe the shiny red box was as fantastic as I thought it was, I became upset. Anger is not a natural condition for healthy people. After reflection and observation, I discovered there was a line connecting me to the thought form, and was determined to follow it and find out what inside of me it was pulling. I imagined a bright white string, or light, stretching from the box to me and I looked long and hard at what in my nature was anchoring this string of attachment.

As it turned out, the string of attachment ran right through my emotional body and was anchored in my ego. If someone did not like the red box, it was as if they were pulling on that string. The glossy red box of an idea became my puppeteer, tugging on my ego, who now felt like he was being challenged, and upset my emotional body, angering me. Now, they were in control, not me, and their natural reaction was to defend the shiny red box against all challengers, because as long as that string of attachment held firm, “I” was the box!

Recognizing this situation, I decided it was time to cut the cord and put an end to this dysfunction. I imagined cutting the string and letting the shiny red box float away, now untethered to my ego and allowing me the freedom to look at it a different way without injecting anger and frustration into my comments. Every time, I mean every time I have acted with anger as a motivating force, even so-called righteous anger, I have made mistakes.

Now with the string of attachment cut, I watched the shiny red box of an idea rise and float away like a kite on a windy day. My gaze followed the box as it herked and jerked upwards on the currents of emotion, desire and popular culture into the sky, and I discovered the Sun, whose brilliant rays enveloped everything. As it turned out, the Solar Logos, the Face of God, was there the whole time watching, just waiting for me to look up. It was only after I freed myself of attachment that I was able to see the beauty and fire that gives us all life.

How many other kites must I sacrifice?
-----------------------------------------------
Mr. Constas is a Student of Ageless Wisdom Teachings

Resource to learn more about Detachment in The Science of Becoming Oneself.

Learn more about Ageless Wisdom Teachings at TSG University.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and helpful visualization! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our posts.